How Does Invisalign Work?
posted: Mar. 19, 2021.
Find out how this nearly invisible system can fix your crooked smile.
When it comes to ways to straighten your smile, our Lake Ridge, and Woodbridge, VA, dentists Dr. Marv Thomas, Dr. Rifhat Khan, and Dr. Mohamed Elgazzar offer a lot of choices. Of course, for many teens and adults, Invisalign is the most popular option. That’s because this orthodontic alternative uses clear trays instead of brackets and wires to straighten teeth.
How do Invisalign aligners work?
Each plastic aligner in your treatment plan has been custom crafted and made to fit your treatment goals. Whether you want to close gaps between your teeth or fix crowding, each aligner is designed to move certain teeth a specified amount before needing to be replaced with the next set of aligners in your treatment. Each aligner is worn for about two weeks before being swapped out with the new set.
Before you get your Invisalign aligners, our Lake Ridge and Woodbridge, VA, family dentists will use special computer software to map out how your teeth should move in order to get the results you want. From there, this data is sent to a dental lab where they will create your unique set of aligners.
What should I expect with Invisalign treatment?
In order to achieve the results you want, Invisalign requires a lot of patient compliance. So, if you think it’s just a little too tempting to leave your aligners off whenever you want then Invisalign may not be the ideal orthodontic treatment for you. It’s important that you wear your aligners about 22 hours out of the day. This will ensure that you see results as quickly as possible. The average length of treatment for adults is about one year.
There are many benefits to choosing Invisalign treatment. Some benefits include:
- You don’t have to change your diet to accommodate your braces, just simply remove your aligners prior to eating, but make sure to brush your teeth before putting them back on
- You can also brush and floss just like you normally did before braces
- The aligners are smoothed at the edges and made from a flexible material, so they are more comfortable and less likely to cause irritation
- Aligners aren’t visible in photos so teens and young adults don’t have to worry that braces will cramp their selfie game
- You only need to visit your dentist every 4-6 weeks for quick checkups to make sure your treatment is going as planned
If you’re ready to speak to our Lake Ridge, and Woodbridge, VA, team about Invisalign, simply call Dental Spa at (703) 580-8288 to schedule an Invisalign consultation for you or your teen.